Sunday, December 12, 2004

Another great duet

I know, I know, I already ended the discussion by saying that Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough is the best duet ever. But that doesn't mean there aren't other great ones!

The one that's currently tugging at my oh-so-susceptible heartstrings is "Love Hurts" as sung by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris. I mean, the song's great. But the performance absolutely kills me. The instrumentation's spare and understated, so you can hear every sigh. The harmonies are just so aching, as if they're both barely managing to hold back the tears. The best moment comes at 1:11 in, "I'm young/I know..." Their vulnerability comes out most there, and Harris's voice nearly cracks.

The way they slide onto notes makes you doubt whether they're going to be able to hit them or just slide all the way down to the floor and collapse into a sobbing mass.

Or it could be that's just the way it makes me feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home