Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bernini in LA

It's not often that I wish I lived in Los Angeles, but I would love to be able to see the Bernini portrait sculpture exhibition at the Getty (reviewed in the New York Times here). As my high school art history teacher once said, if it weren't for Michelangelo, Bernini would be the Italian artist that everyone knows. He wasn't much of a painter, but his sculptural and architectural masterpieces (often one and the same) are simply stunning. The vitality of his Apollo and Daphne and David surpass every other sculpture I've seen, with the possible exception of the Laocoon group. In Apollo and Daphne, he somehow captured the transformation from flesh to tree in marble.

Even Ottawa is a bit too far to travel for an art exhibition, but I'll be sorely tempted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home