Thursday, February 12, 2004

I guess I'm damned, too

So here's something to ponder. Mel Gibson's Passion comes out soon. Gibson, and others, are promoting it heavily, seeing it as an evangelical tool. Supporters are not restricted to Catholics. Billy Graham, for example, has endorsed the film.

Billy Graham is the American evangelist par excellence. I don't know his denomination or the theology he teaches, but he's always struck me as firmly in the American Protestant tradition (if I had to guess, I'd say he's a Southern Baptist).

Mel Gibson doesn't think much of non-Catholics. In fact, Gibson wholeheartedly believes that his wife, whom he describes as "a saint... better than" he is, is going to hell. Her sin? She's Episcopalian. The fact that she "prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus" is irrelevant since, there is "no salvation for those outside the Church."

I wonder whether Graham knows where Gibson thinks he's headed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home