Monday, February 23, 2004

Teaching (the history of) science

In discussing this list, Eszter Hargittai of Crooked Timber ponders the fact that people don't know much about scientists or the history of science.

To remedy this failing, Eszter wonders if teaching some history of science in high school science might do the trick. Some commenters have suggested otherwise, claiming that "an emphasis on history of science would further weaken high school instruction on the scientific method."

I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive. It seems to me as if the scientific method might be best taught in the context of its historical development. I'm failing to come up with a good example off the top of my head (this is what happens when you haven't taken a science class in over three years...), but I can tell you this: I remember from 10th-grade biology that Watson and Crick used x-ray crystallography to determine the structure of DNA. I doubt I would have remembered the technique used without remembering the scientists that used it.

I'm not arguing that science class should become the history of scientists, but I fail to see why the history of science can't be incorporated into the high school science curriculum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home